Reluctant readers will love this activity to be done with Sh Sh Sh Let the Baby Sleep!
- Laminate and tape several consonant blends to the floor. The ones featured in the book are Sh, Br, Th, Ch, Gr.
- Create aword basket at the end that uses the same blend.
- Start each child with a beanbag or pair of rolled up socks.
- With feet together, they jump on each blend and say the sound as they land.
- Then they throw the beanbag into the basket and read the word.
- They retrieve the beanbag, give it to the next child in line and sit at the end of the line.
- When all the groups are finished, they rotate to the next blend.
- Leave the word off the basket and ask the children to come up with their own word. ex. ship, shot, shy, shape, shut, etc.
- This activity works great with vowel sounds too!